Enhance Your Smile with Effective, Affordable Dental Bonding
For patients who are unhappy with the appearance of their smile but feel that veneers or crowns are too extreme, Dr. David Ross and Dr. Karen Schmitt provide dental bonding at their Oviedo, FL, practice. This specialized composite resin material can help improve the overall aesthetics of your smile with significant results in a single appointment.
Dental Bonding Basics
Dental bonding uses a tooth-colored composite resin to make small cosmetic enhancements. This procedure can be included in a smile makeover or performed on its own. Dental bonding is often used to:
- Close spaces between the teeth
- Refine the shape of small or misshapen teeth
- Hide stains and discoloration
- Protect exposed tooth roots
Dental bonding is a noninvasive procedure, and most patients can qualify. However, it is better suited as a cosmetic treatment for the front teeth because the material is typically not strong enough to withstand the intense biting pressure of back molars.
As a cosmetic treatment, dental bonding affords patients a number of advantages, including:
- Efficiency: Unlike veneers or crowns, which must be custom-made from impressions over a series of appointments separated by at least a week, dental bonding can be applied and shaped in a single visit.
- Affordability: Because dental bonding takes place in one appointment and no lab work is involved, bonding is one of the more affordable cosmetic treatments available.
- Aesthetics: Teeth enhanced with dental bonding can blend seamlessly with the surrounding smile for a subtle, but effective improvement.
At Alafaya Family Dentistry, our team provides high quality dental care in an environment that patients are happy to visit.
At Your Appointment
A dental bonding appointment usually takes about 30 to 60 minutes per tooth. If you are receiving bonding for more than one tooth, we typically recommend that you split the procedure into multiple appointments. Before beginning, we will use a shade guide to select a color of bonding that most closely matches your tooth. If you are also considering whitening your teeth, it is important to schedule it before undergoing any dental bonding.
We may prep your tooth by “etching” the surface lightly to create more surface area for a stronger bond. This step is safe and does not cause damage to your tooth. Patients also do not usually need anesthetic during their visit. One of our doctors can then apply the dental bonding material and mold it. They will sculpt and shape the composite resin to match your surrounding teeth and achieve your specific goals. We will then shine a special light over the material to harden it. Once hardened, we can further refine and polish the bonding site until it matches your tooth completely.
Reach Out Today
At Alafaya Family Dentistry, our team provides high quality dental care in an environment that patients are happy to visit. If you are considering cosmetic enhancements for your teeth, contact us today to set up an appointment.